Curious Histories Fest
Curious Histories Fest is the Science History Institute’s annual celebration of science, history, exploration, and experimentation.
The theme of our inaugural festival, “A Taste of Water,” featured a daylong celebration of the water in your world. Held on Saturday, June 10, 2023, more than 350 visitors enjoyed free hands-on activities and family-friendly fun, as well as exciting talks, tours, and highlights from our special collections.
Participating Vendors and Partners
- Beer tasting with the Wissahickon Brewing Company
- Philly Water Bar with the Philadelphia Water Department
- Hands-on beer and water history with water scientist Gary Burlingame
- Global Water Bar tasting and history with Institute staff
- Iced tea tasting with Craft Tea
- Hands-on tea history with Institute staff
- Water-themed storytime with author Thembi Palmer
- Meet macroinvertebrates with environmental educator Stefanie Kroll
- Oyster tasting with the Choptank Oyster Company
- Pitruco Pizza food truck
- Schmear It bagel food truck
- Stroud Research Center
- Global Water Alliance
- Music by Vinyl Tap 215 founder DJ DuiJi Mshinda and DJ Mr. Smith
The event also featured the unveiling of our prestigious National Historic Chemical Landmark plaque, which was presented by the American Chemical Society in recognition of our contributions to enhancing the public’s appreciation of the chemical sciences and to mark our 40th anniversary.
Curious Histories Awards
Curious Histories Fest also included the presentation of the Curious Histories Awards, given in recognition of exceptional achievements in chemistry, chemical engineering, the life sciences, and allied fields and industries.
- Othmer Gold Medal
Under Secretary for Science and Innovation, U.S. Department of Energy
Presidential Chair in Science and Professor of Chemistry, University of Oregon
- Richard J. Bolte Sr. Award for Supporting Industries
David C. Jukes
President and Chief Executive Officer, Univar Solutions
- American Institute of Chemists Gold Medal
K. Barry Sharpless
W.M. Keck Professor of Chemistry, Scripps Research
Principal Investigator, Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology
Major funding for Curious Histories Fest is provided by the Bolte Family Foundation.
Additional support provided by sustaining sponsors American Chemical Society, Dow, Eastman Chemical Company, Univar Solutions, and Westlake Corporation, and contributing sponsors Hallstar, Hexion, and LyondellBasell.