Franklin-Lavoisier Prize Presentation
The 2018 Franklin-Lavoisier Prize was presented to the Comité Lavoisier de l’Académie des Sciences. Patrice Bret, secrétaire général, accepted the award.
About the Comité Lavoisier
The Comité Lavoisier, created in 1948 by the Académie des Sciences and reorganized in 1980, preserves and publishes the correspondence of Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier. Seven volumes have already been produced (1955–2012)—the eighth one is in preparation—and an effort is under way to make some of the correspondence accessible on the internet.
These volumes provide an in-depth look at the birth and development of the Chemical Revolution at the end of the 18th century. The scientific rigor used in preparing the books, the detail-oriented control of sources, and the authenticity of documents combine to create a high-quality reference tool. The precision of the notes and the quality and richness of the appendices make the volumes a cornerstone for anyone studying Lavoisier, chemistry, and scientific life in his time.
The Comité Lavoisier has saved for posterity not only the content of Lavoisier’s correspondence but also the physical papers, drawn from archives around the world. The Comité has brought attention to the intrinsic and material value of the documents and the need for upkeep and preservation. The Comité also pays careful attention to the inventory, preservation, and diffusion of Lavoisier’s material heritage, including his re-created laboratory in the Musée des Arts et Métiers, his mineralogical collection in the Musée Henri-Lecoq in Clermont-Ferrand, and the Fonds Lavoisier in the Archives de l’Académie des Sciences. The Comité works to preserve all related documents and objects to demonstrate Lavoisier’s multiple activities and their connections to a broader domain outside chemistry.
As of October 2018 the Comité Lavoisier is chaired by Jacques Livage. Henri Kagan is past president.
Patrice Bret, general secretary of the Comité Lavoisier, waccepted the award on the Comité’s behalf. Bret edited volumes VI (1789–1791) and VII (1792–1794) published in 1997 and 2012, respectively, and is currently editing volume VIII (Supplement, 1761–1794).
About the Sponsor
La Fondation de la Maison de la Chimie was founded in 1928, in Paris, with the goal of building and maintaining a central meeting and working space to promote the popularization of science and was organized for the service of chemists worldwide. To fulfill this mission, the organization provides a number of services and activities to facilitate cooperation among all those working to promote chemistry as one of the basic disciplines of science and technology.